Friday, September 9, 2011

Classes

So it's Friday, which means the end of my first week of classes at Lingnan! The classes I'm taking are called "Creative and Individual Differences", "Cantonese for International Students", "Exploring Psychology in Western and Chinese Cultures", "South East Asia History" and "Advertising and Integrated Marketing Communications". I'm getting more familiar with the school's website, and "Moodle", which is equivalent to Blackboard at CMU. I really like my classes. All but one of my classes contain less than 15 people, and most of the professors make it interactive. For example, in my advertising course, the teacher hands out a card to students every time they answer a question correctly and they count towards a participation grade. It's turned into a competition between groups to see who can collect the most of them which keeps it interesting.

There are also some cultural differences in the class room between the local and exchange students. Most of the time the local students are very hesitant to participate in class or interact with teacher, so exchange students will sometimes get singled out during discussions. I'm also very impressed with the local students because of the fact that they are learning in English, which is not their first language. Overall I'm really happy with my class schedule!